what we do

Working with a customer on a new frame can be a balancing act: will the customer accept the type of frame or whole bike we like to do or will they want something different? Will they "get" it? Will I understand what the customer wants? Our ideas change, the market changes, and what we feel like building here can change. With these points in mind:

Paint: we like single color paint jobs. We like the lug cutouts - if we're using lugs - to be filled a contrasting color. Single color paint schemes are our favorite, we're okay on panels, and we don't offer lug striping. We eschew fades and purple and Team 7-Eleven is the multi-color scheme we're loving these days.

We don't offer chrome or nickel plating of frames nor do we polish stainless - sorry. We don't offer custom carved lugs and we love Richard Sachs' "Issimo" lugs for most of our Team Pro builds.

Like our decals? Great, 'cause that's what we use and we have plenty of nice versions to chose from. We don't make custom decals and we prefer to not use yours. We'll put your name on the top tube if you kick and scream, maybe. Decals on head, down, and seat tube generally.

Boy, this makes me sound like a grump - sorry to be so negative but I've had a few cases over the years where I wish I had laid all this out before we started talking. Some builders ask you what you want and try to build it for you. Others say: "This is what we do. We build great bikes and if you can work within our parameters then we have a deal."

We're the second type of builder. We have a vision and we want customers who understand that vision. There is nothing wrong with wanting something else, whether that be shiny lugs, purple-to-gold fade, or carbon chainstays; we're just not going to be the builder you want in that case.

Hey, thanks for reading!

Comments

e-RICHIE said…
amen to that last paragraph atmo.
christopher said…
ok... i see what your saying. i'll bring the beer next time we meet.

yea, i don't think the sunflower part of the decal could be converted into a headbadge. but the "C T" logo would work. how about a headbadge decal combo?
Steve Hampsten said…
"how about a headbadge decal combo?"

Don't make me go all medieval on your ass, now.
Unknown said…
Thank goodness!

If I want to hear my own opinion on bikes and cycling I will shut the door and talk to myself.

If I peruse your website I am looking for inspiration, motivation and execution from your perspective.

Thanks for holding the line. I accepted and trusted Grant P. for my Rivendell I rode across the country (the day after I received it I set out for Yorktown and my group) and I couldn't have picked better. Since then I bought a wheelset from Peter WHite under the same dictates and subject to the juridiction of his rants and again, nothing but satisfaction!